Project No 3
The new pedagogy and competency based learning by carrying-out coordinated interdisciplinary research for the analysis of educational process and by developing a new approach to the implementation of competence approach* in learning (the Project Leader - Dr. paed. Dace Namsone )
Goals of Project No 3
to conduct coordinated interdisciplinary research for educational analysis; to develop a new approach to implementation of a competency-based approach that contributes to sustainable development of the country and creation of a knowledge based society, according to the education policy guidelines for sustainable development of the country.
* Competences of learners are the most significant indicators in measuring the quality of education systems in the international comparative education studies organized by the OECD. The Ministry of Education and Science and the National Centre for Education have commenced the development of the documents for the content of academic subjects for the basic education, which start the implementation of competency based approach in the educational content documents and further in school practice. It is planned to implement competency based approach in schools in Latvia and it will affect every teacher, school leader and learner. The implementation of the research program will give the opportunity to introduce the competency based approach in the country based on the research and using the world’s best practice in the implementation of changes in education. Without implementation of competency based approach in education the development of knowledge and innovation based economy is not possible.
Objectives of Project No 3:
to conduct coordinated interdisciplinary research for qualitative analysis of the learning process in Latvia in co-operation with global partnership in relation to:
- the synergy of the academic content, competency based learning and educational technologies;
- the assessment of learners’ achievements in competency based approach by trying it in school practice
to prepare research based recommendations for educational policy makers for:
- the assessment of achieved competences of learners;
- the provision of educational environment and leadership of learning in schools in accordance of the 21st century requirements;
effective and meaningful implementation of information communication technologies in learning.
Short description of activities of Project No 3:
To reach the goal and to implement the objectives the following activities will be carried out:
- the preparation of the methodology of the research on the synergy of the academic content, competency based learning and educational technologies and implementation of the research.
- The implementation of the research on the assessment of learners’ achievements in competency based approach (including pilot schools).
- The development of recommendations for educational policy makers and partners of national economy.
- Participation in learning and co-ordination conferences and seminars.